WHAT THE %&@$, REBECCA?, 28 July 2009

Talk about the comic

WHAT THE %&@$, REBECCA?, 28 July 2009

Postby PaulJones202718 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:13 pm

Great; not only is Rebecca selfish, jealous, suspicious and vicious, she's also a total God-damned idiot. Of course a pattern of hateful behavior sounds bad when it's explained in plain English; that's because it and she ARE bad.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Re: WHAT THE %&@$, REBECCA?, 28 July 2009

Postby Dukat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Go, Jon! Now that's what I'm talking about. Of course, the bimbo's response leaves a lot to be desired, but it has already been pretty clearly established she's a bitch and a moron.
One man's villain is another man's hero.
Dukat
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby the nightfly » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:32 pm

PaulJones202718 wrote:Of course a pattern of hateful behavior sounds bad when it's explained in plain English; that's because it and she ARE bad.

The problem is, Jon isn't quite honest in the way he spells out the situation. Candi is not only his "fuckin' best friend," she's his best friend who he's been wishing he was fuckin' since...oh, way back in high school, the one he came on to when he was (accidentally) high on ecstasy, etc., etc. The fact is, he only got involved with Rebecca because Candi was in a long-term relationship with someone else. She isn't now.

So, when Jon accuses Rebecca of not trusting him, all I can say is "no shit, Sherlock." Seriously, if Candi started showing signals that she wanted him to be "more than a friend," how long do you think it would take before Rebecca got the same "we should break up" speech that Alex gave Candi?
Last edited by the nightfly on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the nightfly
Chocolate Champion

Postby monkey mcdermott » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:36 pm

If she cant trust him after the good faith effort he's put in, she needs to leave him because she never will. Frankly their relationship was doomed the instant Rebecca took a "its her or me" stance, old friendships last longer than college relationships.
monkey mcdermott
Gum Ball Boss

Postby Kapal » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:42 pm

I'm not too big of a Rebecca fan, there isn't much there to really like because we don't really KNOW her, only what she shows really when she's around Jon. And that's usually jealousy and otherwise over the Candi/Jon relationship.
...but wait! Jon actually DOES like Candi. Which would mean that Rebecca's "stupid fears" are not irrational, but rather quite relevant and REAL. Jon also got mad at Rebecca who came in on a situation where Candi was standing there and the two pets were close, and Rebecca freaked out. Yes, sure, it was over dramatic and un-neeeded, but at the same time I feel that if anyone else was put in that situation, they too would rush forward and grab their own pet in the fear that the other animal may kill it or harm it, since animals are not generally trusted amongst each other unless they've been proven to be safe.
The fact that Rebecca lashed out at Candi was uncalled for and rude, but was probably (or would probably be) because Rebecca subconsciously dislikes Candi because her boyfriend likes Candi, likes being around Candi, LIVES with Candi, and is best friends with her.
I feel that it's almost unfair to Rebecca. Clearly she could be more trusting, but Jon doesn't seem the guy that you'd want to trust since he'd practically do whatever he could to be with Candi. xS
Jon, to me, is the kind of man I'd never want to be with. While it's romantic that he loves Candi, it's also quite sad that he's with poor Rebecca, who clearly likes the man while he's just kind of "with her" for convenience, but secretly really wanting to be with Candi. xS
Kapal
Lemon Drop Lurker

Postby monkey mcdermott » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:44 pm

He'd do whatever he could to be with her, except actively work with linda to break up her and her boyfriend.

He's been avoiding hanging out with her since he finally came to the conclusion that it was candi or rebecca.

He's actively on a number of occasions demonstrated that Rebecca is more important than his friendship with candi.

She repays him with a double dose of crazy bitch.

She doesnt have a leg to stand on here.
monkey mcdermott
Gum Ball Boss

Postby cjg313 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:47 pm

The problem is, Jon isn't quite honest in the way he spells out the situation. Candi is not only his "fuckin' best friend," she's his best friend who he's been wishing he was fuckin' since...oh, way back in high school, the one he came on to when he was (accidentally) high on ecstasy, etc., etc. The fact is, he only got involved with Rebecca because Candi was in a long-term relationship with someone else. She isn't now.

I'm pretty sure she already knew all that about him pining for her. But he stated the he ha practically put Becca number one. He's not hanging out with Candi or consoling her or anything. He's made plenty of sacrifices to please her and yet she is still acting like a jealous witch.
cjg313
Quality Jelly Bean

Postby Kapal » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:48 pm

I could understand your side of the story, but this is how I feel.

I also feel that Rebecca is being portrayed the way she is so that other people will feel hatred and detest for her so that when Jon breaks up with her no one will feel sorry for her or sad for her, because we all want Candi and Jon to end up together, and if Rebecca was a sweet, trusting girl who Jon just didn't like then we'd all feel bad and hate Jon. Especially if Rebecca was as nice as that and let Jon and Candi remain good, close friends and Jon continuously tried to be with Candi while dating Rebecca.
Kapal
Lemon Drop Lurker

Postby monkey mcdermott » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:54 pm

If rebecca was a sweet trusting girl, she wouldnt be the type to flip out and get violent.

"If the character was written as likeable then people wouldnt hate her" isnt a very good argument.
monkey mcdermott
Gum Ball Boss

Postby Kapal » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:56 pm

It isn't an argument. As I've stated, it's a point of view that I'm expressing.
What I'm saying is, that if Jon were dating a girl that was nice, if Rebecca was sweet and nice, then the viewing crowd (I.E. Me, you, others blah blah blah) would like her and like them together.
Then if we saw Jon hitting on Candi, or showing like in her direction, generally people would dislike Jon because he was in a relationship with a girl and basically lying to her about liking her.
But because Rebecca is insane and over-jealous, people don't care if Jon just breaks up with her, and are instead rooting for it, thus not bothering to think about anything behind Rebecca's reasoning and just saying that she's a crazy bitch instead.
Kapal
Lemon Drop Lurker

Postby TheFlyingFish » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:57 pm

Newly created my account, just because man...

I was really, really hoping that would happen. Now, maybe this is because of a bit of real-life prejudice (I am the best girl friend that every guy's girlfriend hates) but I have been waiting for Jon to call Rebecca on her jealousy for quite some time now, and was worried he would roll over and take it or, worse, yell at Candi. I am extremely happy that did not happen.

To continue the debate regarding whether or not Rebecca is justified in her behavior, I would like to add...

Jon having a thing for Candi while dating Rebecca? Isn't Candi's fault. No matter WHAT Jon feels about Candi, that is JON'S problem. That Rebecca takes issue with it is something Rebecca should bring up to HIM. Taking it out on Candi is wrong no matter what, because she is not the cause of the issue here. I'm not saying I don't get where she's coming from, emotionally. But even if you can't control how you feel, you can certainly control what you do about it.
TheFlyingFish
Lemon Drop Lurker

Postby Kapal » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:00 am

I agree, but what I'm saying is that is probably why she lashed out at Candi, because of those repressed feelings. I'm not saying that Rebecca is anyway sane or nice, I'm just saying that there's more to her than just being a crazy wild loony.
Kapal
Lemon Drop Lurker

Postby kmyny » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:12 am

While I agree her fears aren't completely false, she needs to give her boyfriend a chance. As the others said, he's made MANY sacrifices for this girl, with her not even tolerating Candi in return.

Here? She was nothing but nasty. Candi was CLEARLY upset about Menjou. Rebecca made this into a jealously fight, not Candi.
kmyny
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby cjg313 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:44 am

kmyny wrote:While I agree her fears aren't completely false, she needs to give her boyfriend a chance. As the others said, he's made MANY sacrifices for this girl, with her not even tolerating Candi in return.

That's all I'm saying. He made the effort to be a good boyfriend to her. If he really didnt want it to work or was really still that hung up on Candi.he wouldn't have made those sacrifices for her. So she needs to lay off. Plus remember, she disliked Candi from Jump, not even sure of Jon's feelings for her.

kmyny wrote:Here? She was nothing but nasty. Candi was CLEARLY upset about Menjou. Rebecca made this into a jealously fight, not Candi.

So true, Becca turned it into a jealousy thing. Candi was just pissed she kicked Menjou and pointed out that if she was so worried about her pet she should have been better watching it. Becca turned that in to Candi wanting Jon for some reason.
cjg313
Quality Jelly Bean

Postby the nightfly » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:55 am

monkey mcdermott wrote:She repays him with a double dose of crazy bitch.

She doesnt have a leg to stand on here.

Let's look at the facts here:

1) Rebecca is in bed with Jon when she realizes her pet squirrel is no longer in the room.

2) She goes looking for her, and finds her tussling with an uncaged ferret, while Candi stands by watching.

3) She probably knows ferrets kill squirrels.

4) She also knows that Menjou was in his cage shortly before, thus somebody had to have let him out.

5) She also knows Candi expressed disapproval (and rather unhinged disapproval, for those who don't know about the Mafia) of her having a squirrel as a pet.

You've got to assume that Rebecca is as bonded to Coconut as Candi is to Menjou. In that case, is it too surprising that her first inclination is to rush in and rescue her pet, even if it means injuring the animal who (she thinks) was attacking her? Or that she might suspect that Candi deliberately let Menjou out of his cage so that he might harm or even kill Coconut, of whom Candi already showed a irrational (from her point-of-view) dislike?

And, when Candi reacts to what must seem to Rebecca like a reasonable attempt to save Coconut from a ferret by blaming Rebecca for bringing her squirrel over "while you were messing around with your boyfriend," is it all-that-surprising that Rebecca might zero in on that line and assume Candi tried to harm Coconut out of jealousy?

Rebecca has, on many prior occasions, been portrayed in a very negative light, so people are inclined to detest her. But, if you think about this arc in isolation, her behavior doesn't seem so eeeeeeeeevil. Both she and Candi are, in fact, acting quite rationally -- the problem is that Rebecca doesn't have the key information about Menjou and the Squirrel Mafia that Candi does; if we didn't know those things, either, and saw only what Rebecca saw in this case, we'd probably act about the same way she did.
the nightfly
Chocolate Champion

Next

Return to Candi Comics Discussion